The Chemical Maze logo

Sulphur dioxide is red flag for allergy sufferers

For some of us, it was a good news day when research indicated that a glass of red wine a day could be beneficial for health.

But for those of us allergic to food additive and preservative 220 (sulphur dioxide), even one glass of red wine can cause an exhausting list of potential side effects, from headaches and migraines to more serious outcomes like anaphylaxis, asthma and bronchitis.

The health promoting properties of a glass of red wine are due to the presence of bioflavonoid, a plant based form of Vitamin P known to have powerful antioxidant effects in the body.

Bioflavonoid is present in many of nature’s gifts to us ‚Äì citrus fruits, berries, red onions, green tea and even dark chocolate (70%). Any grape product that has ‘sat on the skins’ for a time will be rich in bioflavonoids.

So if a glass of red wine is an allergy nightmare, a handful of fresh red grapes will provide you with just as much antioxidant advantage – without the sulphur dioxide and other ill-effects of wine. Allergies to preservatives are a challenge to manage, but not impossible.

If you found this article valuable, you can download the Allergy Maze App to your iPhone now.

Have easy-to-use information on thousands of potentially harmful ingredients at your fingertips.

Lindy Schneider is a writer and researcher with a keen interest in health, wellbeing and natural childcare. She is an advocator of a chemical-free lifestyle in the best interests of her family, the community and a sustainable world. She lives in the Yarra Valley with her partner and two young children

View Desktop Site